What can you expect from CAM-28 Advanced?
Ages 16+ | C1 Advanced Cambridge Examination preparation
This option offers full-time Cambridge Advanced Examination (formerly CAE) preparation for set course periods of 5 to 8 weeks. In total it contains 28 lessons (21 hours) of CAE tuition, preparation and practice per week, plus free social activity options after class.
The Cambridge examinations are among the most widely recognised English Language Tests in the world. They are set by Cambridge Assessment.
The examinations are held in Cambridge at the end of your course. If you wish to take the examination, you may do so at extra cost and we will help you apply.
Course dates 2021
|Course starts||Course ends||Weeks||Last exam date|
|January 11||February 19||6||February 24|
|March 08||April 16||6||April 17|
|April 19||May 28||6||May 29|
|May 31||June 18||3||June 19|
|June 21||July 30||6||July 30|
|July 12||July 30||3||July 30|
|August 09||August 27||3||August 27|
|September 27||November 06||6||November 06|
|November 01||December 11||6||December 11|
After-class activities are are offered free of charge at least once a day (Monday to Friday) so you can practice your English in real-life situations. Have a look at our ‘Social life’ page for more information about Studio activities and student life.
Notes to parents and guardians of students under 18 years old
Our CAM-28 course is considered to be an “adult” course and therefore we primarily cater for students aged 18 years or older. However, we also welcome students aged 16 & 17 who prefer an “adult” course to a camp programme (such as Sir George or a summer camp).
It is important to note that on CAM-28:
- The levels of supervision are lower than those provided on our camps. We do not provide 24 hour supervision and students will not be supervised during free time
- Students aged under 18 must attend all lessons
- All students are expected to make their own travel arrangements to and from their accommodation if not booking a transfer through us
- It is normal for students to have some periods of time in the homestay house without an adult present
- Students aged 16 & 17 on “adult” courses often study in classes with adults aged 18 or older
- The minimum age of students in class with ages 18 or older will be 16 years old
- Students aged 16 & 17 may be joined in class by ages 14 & 15 (attending the Sir George camp)
- The minimum age of students in class with 16 or 17 year olds will be 14 years old
- There are strict “curfew” rules regarding the latest time under 18s can return to their accommodation in the evening
- The school’s social programme is not compulsory or specifically designed for under 18s. Some activities are not suitable or accessible for students under 18
- Students aged under 18 are not permitted to travel independently outside of Cambridge without a responsible adult and written permission from a parent or guardian
- School social activities are supervised by members of staff, but all students attending social events are expected to make their own way back to their accommodation
- We sell tickets for full-day and weekend excursions run by other companies but not to under 18s, as we do not think the companies which run them provide the necessary supervision for this age group. Under 18s can only join Studio-organised excursions, which are led by our staff but allow unsupervised free-time during the day
- We strongly advise parents of students aged 16 & 17 to arrange return taxi transfers through Studio and avoid independent travel
- On arrival, students should aim to arrive at their accommodation in Cambridge no later than 20:00
What do our Cambridge Advanced lessons involve?
On Cambridge Advanced (CAE) we teach you the language and skills needed to pass this English exam. Our courses combine language development with examination technique, study skills and examination practice. The aim of the courses is to:
- Give you a clear understanding of English grammar systems and how to use them
- Increase both active and passive knowledge of vocabulary
- Improve listening skills
- Increase your ability to speak in different situations
- Encourage and develop reading skills
- Develop writing skills, in particular for narrative description and letters
The courses attract hard-working, motivated students who have examination success as their clear and specific goal.
All classrooms have Wi-Fi, internet, data projectors and speakers. Teachers often design their own materials to supplement the text books, based on video clippings, websites, newspaper or magazine articles, TV programmes and ongoing events in Cambridge. Computers and Wi-Fi are available to all our students for language exercises, personal study and internet research in our dedicated Learning Centre.
Recent results for CAE exams at Studio Cambridge
|Grade||Percentage (%) of grades for Studio students in 2017||Percentage (%) of grades for Studio students in 2016|
|A – C||78%||82%|
The Studio Cambridge Advanced (CAE) syllabus
The Cambridge Examination Courses follow a highly structured syllabus according to the examination required and the duration of the course (5 to 8 weeks of instruction). Within this, teachers plan a week’s work (called a Weekly Work Scheme) to establish and monitor students’ progress.
The courses are designed not just for students wishing to take the University of Cambridge examination, but also for people who want a structured and demanding course with an emphasis on grammar and writing.
The courses include:
- Use of English – writing and vocabulary
- Writing skills
- Reading and listening
- Speaking and pronunciation
- Examination practice, including a full mock test to highlight individual students’ weaknesses
- Additional homework and private study
This qualification is at the Advanced English level (Studio level 6 – equivalent to C1/2). You will need to be at least at the Upper Intermediate level (Studio level 5 – equivalent to B2) to start this course.
The CAM-28 Cambridge Examination courses are structured and demanding. In addition to the 28 lessons, a lot of self-study, using our Learning Centre, and homework is required. During your first week, you will be required to buy course books for your chosen examination course, at an estimated cost of £50.
For an example of the kinds of lessons you will be having, please have a look at our timetables.
If you wish to take the C1 examination at the end of your course, we will extend your accommodation in Cambridge until the night after the exam date at no additional cost.
The cost of the examination (which is optional) is not included in the course fees. It is estimated at £150 and should be paid in the school. The course uses specialised course books at an additional cost of approximately £50 per course, to be paid in the school.
Taxi transfers from or to the airports, are available to book in advance via our online enrollment or on request at a later date.
The nearest airports to Cambridge are Stansted, Luton and Heathrow. Gatwick and Birmingham are also not too far away. Public transport (train or coach) link all the above airports to Cambridge.
Please see our ‘How to get here’ page for more information. We strongly advise parents of students aged 16 & 17 to organise return taxi transfers to avoid any problems.
Regular excursions from Cambridge are offered to students at extra cost. Options include one-day trips, weekend excursions, London theatre trips and English Premier League football games. Destinations include London, Brighton, Oxford, York, Canterbury, Liverpool and Edinburgh.
Some excursions are organised directly by Studio (“Studio-organised excursions”) whilst others are organised by outside companies.
Students aged under 18 may join the Studio-organised excursions but other excursions are only offered to ages 18+.
There is a registration fee for all new Intensive English Course bookings. The fee for ages 16 or 17 is slightly higher in order to cover the cost of extra welfare supervision required by under 18s.
Some meals are included in the accommodation package (e.g. with Homestay accommodation). However, weekday lunches are not included in the fees on the CAM-28 course.
2020 and 2021 Course Prices
Use our course pricer to build a package tailored to what you need – whether that’s a course on its own or with accommodation and airport transfers.