When studying on an English language course, Homestay is Studio’s most popular accommodation option. Living with a Cambridge host is the best way to experience British life at first hand and provides you with a friendly and secure English-speaking environment.
Homestay accommodation is provided in homes located within the city of Cambridge. We cannot guarantee the distance away from the school but it is likely to be no more than 40 minutes by bus, bicycle or on foot. Students taking the homestay option should be prepared to travel independently to and from the school. There is a bus stop directly in front of the school and our summer centre, and both are located near to the train station.
There are three types of homestay accommodation:
- Standard B&B – £154 per week
- Standard half-board – £196 per week
- Superior half-board – £287 per week
All our homestay accommodation is booked in weekly blocks from Sunday to Sunday.
Please check with our accommodation and welfare team for superior half-board host family availability during busy periods.
Advantages of homestay accommodation
- A fully English-speaking environment
- Half-board (bed, breakfast and evening meals) Monday to Friday
- Full-board (bed, breakfast, lunch and dinner) at weekends
- Laundry is washed at least once a week
What can you expect from your Homestay accommodation?
Single Rooms – For your privacy and comfort, we provide only single study bedrooms (although twin rooms are available if requested).
Bed and Breakfast Meals – B&B accommodation is most suitable for students who want maximum flexibility relating to their meals and meal times, whilst still experiencing all of the other benefits of living with local people. As students won’t be able to cook meals in their homestay, this is ideal for students who want to make the most of Cambridge’s huge range of restaurants.
Half-board Meals: If you select half-board homestay accommodation, your hosts will provide you with breakfast and dinner each day from Monday to Friday and all meals at weekends. (Lunch is served from Monday to Friday in the Studio cafe, at a small additional cost).
Laundry: Your hosts will change your bed linen and wash your clothes at least once per week.
Other students in the Homestay – Often, there will be another Studio student staying with the same host as you. However, that student will be of a different nationality or mother tongue.
How we select our hosts – Studio hosts are selected because they are friendly people who enjoy hosting international students. They provide a warm, welcoming environment where you will feel at home.
Our Accommodation Office uses established criteria in selecting homestays. Each host is visited at least once a year when we gather, and then continuously up-date, the following information about each host:
Personal details – names of all members of the family; their occupations and personal interests; the ages, school details and interests of the children, if any; if anyone in the house smokes and their attitude to smoking; if they have pets; whether they can cater for special diets, such as vegetarian, halal, or gluten-free; whether any other languages are spoken at home
The Home – Location; distance from school; walking, cycling or bus routes to school; type of home (house, apartment); size and style; number of bedrooms; type of bedrooms and facilities; number of bathrooms; facilities (garden, TV etc)
Our host’s commitment to you
In receiving Studio students, our hosts:
- Welcome you to their home when you arrive and help you find your way in Cambridge
- Make you feel part of the family, rather than just a paying guest
- Encourage you to speak English, involve you in their normal daily life and invite you to take your meals with them
- Provide a good, nutritious and balanced diet, taking particular care if you have an allergy or dietary restriction
- Provide a change of bed linen, and wash your clothes at least once per week
- Show concern for your welfare, safety and security and stay in close contact with the school