This page provides visa guidance for camp students wishing to learn English in the United Kingdom. Please note this information is for guidance only and is subject to regular change. For up-to-date information, please refer to the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Do I need to apply for a visa?

Many international students can study in the UK for up to six months without needing a visa. EEA, Swiss nationals and some other nationalities will not need a visa if their course is six months or less.

Other nationalities require a visa; however, students from certain countries do not need to apply for it prior to arrival in the UK. You can check if you need to apply for a visa on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Which visa should I apply for?

If you need to apply for a visa in advance and want to study in the UK for six months or less should apply for a Standard Visitor visa.

Standard Visitor visa

You will need a Standard Visitor visa if you plan to study in the UK for less than six months.

Key facts about Standard Visitor visas:

  • From December 2020, visitors can study as much as they like on this visa. It is possible to take different courses with different providers, as long as the courses have an approved accreditation.
  • Application cost: £115
  • When to apply: up to three months in advance
  • Financial requirements: the applicant will need to show that they have enough money to pay for their trip, including accommodation and living costs
  • For students who are under 18, there are additional requirements

Students from non-visa national countries do not need to apply for a visa before coming to the UK to take an English language course of 6 months or less. They must bring all the school documents in order to show the immigration officer at the UK border, who will then stamp a visa into their passport. Students wishing to take an English language course for longer than 6 months must apply for Short-Term Study Visa before coming to the UK.

Electronic Visa Waiver

Passport holders of Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar and United Arab Emirates qualify for an Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW), which will allow them to study for a period of up to 6 months. An EVW form can be completed online; it is free of charge and quicker than applying for a visa. Students do not need to provide biometric information (photo and fingerprints), attend a visa application centre or hand in passport in advance of travel. You must apply for an EVW online at least 48 hours before you travel.

What if I already have a visa?

Some other UK visas allow study, so if you already hold a valid UK visa but are unsure whether you can study on it, please contact us so we can check.

Explore Studio Cambridge...

Enrol Contact Us

Studio Cambridge

5 Salisbury Villas
Station Road