What can you expect from CE-28?
Ages 16+ | Morning group classes + afternoon private tuition
This option offers general English classes in the morning and one-to-one tuition in the afternoons.
In total it contains 28 lessons (21 hours) of tuition per week, plus free social activity options after class.
This course is ideal for students who want to learn English fast and want to focus on their particular weaknesses or interests in the afternoons. In the mornings, it follows the EFL-20 programme: 20 lessons (15 hours) in a class environment with students from around the world. In the afternoon (4 days per week), you will have an additional 8 afternoon classroom lessons (6 hours) per week of 1-to-1 tuition with your own personal teacher.
The morning classes are available for all levels of English in a structured course focusing on the use of English in normal everyday situations. They combine quality classroom teaching, with self-study resources and after-school practice situations.
Afternoon lessons are also available at all levels of English and focus on the topics, themes and grammar areas the student wishes to concentrate on.
The teacher is also available for a tutorial after class hours, for discussion of progress, evaluation of English language learning strengths and weaknesses, and to give advice with self-study. Teachers are there to ensure that you are satisfied with all academic aspects of your course and are progressing well.
After-class activities are are offered free of charge at least once a day (Monday to Friday) so you can practice your English in real-life situations. Have a look at our ‘Social life’ page for more information about Studio activities and student life.
Notes to parents and guardians of students under 18 years old
Our CE-28 course is considered to be an “adult” course and therefore we primarily cater for students aged 18 years or older. However, we also welcome students aged 16 & 17 who prefer an “adult” course to a camp programme (such as Sir George or a summer camp).
It is important to note that on CE-28:
- The levels of supervision are lower than those provided on our camps. We do not provide 24 hour supervision and students will not be supervised during free time
- Students aged under 18 must attend all lessons
- All students are expected to make their own travel arrangements to and from their accommodation unless booking a transfer through us
- It is normal for students to have some periods of time in the homestay house without an adult present
- Students aged 16 & 17 on “adult” courses often study in classes with adults aged 18 or older
- The minimum age of students in class with ages 18 or older will be 16 years old
- Students aged 16 & 17 may be joined in class by ages 14 & 15 (attending the Sir George camp)
- The minimum age of students in class with 16 or 17 year olds will be 14 years old
- There are strict “curfew” rules regarding the latest time under 18s can return to their accommodation in the evening
- The school’s social programme is not compulsory or specifically designed for under 18s. Some activities are not suitable or accessible for students under 18
- Students aged under 18 are not permitted to travel independently outside of Cambridge without a responsible adult and written permission from a parent or guardian
- School social activities are supervised by members of staff, but all students attending social events are expected to make their own way back to their accommodation
- We sell tickets for full-day and weekend excursions run by other companies but not to under 18s, as we do not think the companies which run them provide the necessary supervision for this age group. Under 18s can only join Studio-organised excursions, which are led by our staff but allow unsupervised free-time during the day
- We strongly advise parents of students aged 16 & 17 to arrange return taxi transfers through Studio and avoid independent travel
- On arrival, students should aim to arrive at their accommodation in Cambridge no later than 20:00
What do our English lessons involve?
This is a course with morning classes and afternoons of one-to-one tuition with your own teacher (28 lessons – 15 hours per week), plus free social activity options after class.
Morning classes are available for all levels of English learning in a structured course focusing on the use of English in normal everyday situations. Studio Cambridge’s English courses combine quality classroom teaching, with self-study resources and after-school practice situations.
Afternoon one-to-one tuition
Students can choose to study whatever topics they are most interested in, while focusing on areas of their language they most want to improve. Teachers will be happy to give advise and are flexible about speed and content of the tuition sessions.
Studio Cambridge’s English courses are designed to be flexible to allow you a choice on when to start and finish your English studies. Teachers follow a set syllabus and within this they plan a week’s work (called a Weekly Work Scheme) based on your level and needs.
With this flexibility in mind, Studio Cambridge teachers choose materials from a range of the latest text books and websites. Materials are given to you in the form of photocopies and visual presentations, for you to order for reference in your files.
All classrooms have Wi-Fi, internet, data projectors and speakers. Teachers often design their own materials based on video clippings, websites, newspaper or magazine articles, TV programmes and ongoing events in Cambridge. Computers and Wi-Fi are available to all our students for language exercises, personal study and internet research in our dedicated Learning Centre.
Teachers will occasionally give lessons which do not use materials but stem from the language that you and your classmates produce.
We do not limit ourselves to one simple methodology as different students respond to different teaching techniques.
At the lower levels, the focus is on learning to use the language effectively outside the classroom, and to develop confidence in dealing with everyday situations.
At the intermediate levels, you will work on communicating ideas clearly and with confidence. Language will be presented within the cultural context of life in Britain.
At the more advanced levels, your expertise is developed further by discussion of topics of a cross-cultural or international flavour and you will begin to master the more complex nuances of the language.
Studio Cambridge recognises that students coming to study with us may have different goals in mind for their progression. With this in mind, we use a variety of methods to assess your progress and aid your learning.
Taxi transfers from or to the airports are available to book in advance via our online enrollment or on request at a later date.
The nearest airports to Cambridge are Stansted, Luton and Heathrow. Gatwick and Birmingham are also not too far away. Public transport (train or coach) link all the above airports to Cambridge.
Please see our How to get here page for more information. We strongly advise parents of students aged 16 & 17 to organise return taxi transfers to avoid any problems.
Regular excursions from Cambridge are offered to students at extra cost. Options include one-day trips, weekend excursions, London theatre trips and English Premier League football games. Destinations include London, Brighton, Oxford, York, Canterbury, Liverpool and Edinburgh. One-day trip prices range between £25-£50. Weekend trips may be 2 or 3 days and start from £130 upwards.
Some excursions are organised directly by Studio (“Studio-organised excursions”) whilst others are organised by external companies.
Students aged under 18 may join the Studio-organised excursions but other excursions are only offered to ages 18+.
There is a registration fee for all new Intensive English Course bookings. The fee for ages 16 or 17 is slightly higher in order to cover the cost of extra welfare supervision required by under 18s.
Some meals are included in the accommodation package (e.g. with Homestay accommodation). However, weekday lunches are not included in the fees on the CE-28 course.
2020 and 2021 Course Prices
|1 – 4 weeks||£510.00 Per Week|
|5 – 12 weeks||£495.00 Per Week|
|13 + weeks||£480.00 Per Week|
Use our course pricer to build a package tailored to what you need – whether that’s a course on its own or with accommodation and airport transfers.