Terms, Conditions and Disclaimer
Studio uses all reasonable care to make sure that the information which appears on this site is up-to-date and accurate. Errors and omissions do sometimes occur, and the user should not take the accuracy of information presented on this site for granted.
Although Studio has chosen a secure server for its credit card booking forms, we cannot be held responsible for breaches in this security and users leave their credit card details at their own risk.
Studio cannot be held responsible for material placed on this site by an unauthorised third party.
For terms and conditions which apply to Studio Cambridge’s language courses, please see below or refer to the Studio brochure.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS for all students
The 2020 dates and fees leaflet, brochure and current website supersede all previous versions. We undertake to offer the courses and services described within.
These Terms and Conditions apply both to the student and to his or her parent or guardian if the student is under the age of 18 years (the person who signs the Application Form). It does not matter if you have booked the course directly or through an ETO (agent). The words “you” and “your”, therefore, apply to both the student and his/her parent or legal guardian.
The text in black in these Terms and Conditions refers to all students. Text in green is for students applying for or taking English Language courses for Adults in Cambridge. Text in blue is for students applying for or taking an English Camp for Young Learners.
- Once your application has been received and we have confirmed the enrolment, a binding contract exists between you and Studio Cambridge. Once a contract exists, all fees are due for the full period of your course.
- The person signing the application takes responsibility for paying all required fees.
- Fees must be received by Studio Cambridge no less than four weeks before the start of your course. Failure to comply with our payment terms may result in your enrolment being cancelled.
- If we are unable to accept your application for enrolment, we will offer you an alternative course or course start date, or we will suggest a similar course at a comparable school. If these are not acceptable to you, we will refund all fees paid.
- We reserve the right not to accept any application for enrolment of any student at any stage of the application or booking process. In the event that your application is declined, all fees received will be refunded in full, but we shall be under no obligation to give reasons for the decision.
- We guarantee a place on a course or camp at Studio Cambridge only after we have received your full payment.
- We send all documentation by email unless otherwise requested. If posted we will send by Royal Mail or we can send documents by DHL at additional cost.
- In compliance with British government regulations, the School will not accept cash payments in excess of €15,000 or their equivalent.
- Payments may not be made in instalments.
- You must pay any bank charges incurred in making the payment to the school.
- Any change which results in additional charges must be paid for before the change is implemented.
Applicants with disabilities
- We have limited facilities for students with some disabilities, but do our best to make reasonable adjustments in order to accommodate the needs of all students. Our main school is located in buildings over 100 years old, on five floors and without lifts. We also run courses and camps at other premises with varying degrees of accessibility. Also, students are accommodated in residences or homestays, while social, cultural and sport activities are often included as part of our programmes. Therefore, the suitability and accessibility of our courses for disabled students is different in each case. If you have any physical, mental or learning impairment or special educational need, please inform us prior to enrolment. We will be happy to advise on the suitability of each of our programmes.
- If you come from a country whose nationals are required to be in possession of a visa to enter the United Kingdom, it is your responsibility to obtain that visa. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct visa type and appropriate “leave to remain” (immigration status) in the UK. In the event that we find that you do not have appropriate leave to remain, we will terminate your course immediately and you will have to return to your country. In this case tuition and registration fees are non-refundable.
- On receipt of your application, plus the deposit or full fees, we will confirm receipt of the application and a place on the course will be kept open for you. The booking itself will not be confirmed until you inform the school that you are in possession of a visa.
- On request, we will give you a letter confirming that your application has been received. This can be used to support your application for a visa.
- If your application for a visa is unsuccessful, we will refund all monies paid on receipt of a copy of the letter of refusal from the British authorities (British Consulate or Visa Section of a British Embassy). If an appeal process is available to you, we will only make the refund when the appeal has been unsuccessful.
- All students are expected to complete the course in which they have enrolled and to attend all classes. If you fail to do so we may advise the British authorities (the Home Office) of your noncompliance with these conditions.
- By enrolling you on a Studio Cambridge course, you accept responsibility (or your parents/guardians grant permission) to attend any activities organised by the school or arranged by the school through third parties (for excursions). In some circumstances, we may also request a consent form.
- In rare circumstances the stated maximum class size might be exceeded. If this does happen, it will only be by one person and for a very limited period.
- We are reliant on the accuracy of applications for enrolment when assigning students to courses and accommodation (e.g. by age or nationality). In very rare circumstances the advertised minimum or maximum age of students in class may not be met. If this does happen, students will only be outside the advertised age range by a few months and for a very limited period. They will be assessed for their suitability for the course and the other students in the class (or accommodation) will be consulted.
- All courses are offered subject to demand and we reserve the right to cancel or alter any advertised course. If we do so, we will make every effort to offer you an alternative course. If you decide not to take the alternative course offered, we will refund all fees, but we will not be liable for any losses incurred to you for cancelled travel arrangements.
- If your English level is not suitable for the course you have booked, we reserve the right to move you onto a different course or to refuse you admission to the school.
- In the rare circumstance that there are not enough students to form a class at your appropriate English level, (e.g. if you are a beginner), we reserve the right to offer you private lessons in lieu of group lessons until you have reached the appropriate level where group classes are available. There will be no additional charge, but the number of private lessons will be provided at a ratio of 1 private lesson = 3 group lessons.
- We reserve the right to change teachers at any time during your course.
- We reserve the right to alter dates, fees and any particulars in the brochure without prior notice.
- Classes usually take place in our main school, summer campus and summer camp buildings. Sometimes additional premises located near the school or summer camps are used. The School reserves the right to move classes between rooms and premises as appropriate.
Resolution of disputes
- If you are dissatisfied with your course or any aspect of the services offered by Studio Cambridge, you must bring that dissatisfaction to the attention of the Director of Studies or Course Director as soon as possible in order that a solution may be found without delay. We do not accept complaints received after the student has left the course and/or returned to their own country.
- Once a complaint has been brought to our attention we will make every effort to resolve the problem within 24 hours by fully investigating the issue as per our “Complaints Procedure”, providing:
i The complaint is made while the student is still attending a Studio course or camp.
ii The complaint is registered in writing with a Studio Manager
iii All invoices relating to the student making the complaint have been settled in full.
- If you are still not happy with the situation you may ask for the matter to be referred to a school Director, who will give a decision within 24 hours.
- We are a serious academic institution and expect every student to be on time, attend every lesson and do all their homework. We keep strict attendance registers and latecomers may not be allowed into class. Students only receive a leaving certificate if class attendance has been 80% or more.
- If you miss a lesson, for any reason, we cannot give a refund or allow you to take the lesson at another time. In the case of absence due to sickness of up to 7 days, students must complete a self-certification sickness form on their return. For sickness of 8 days or more, students must provide a ‘fit note’ from the doctor.
- Absence from classes for 10 consecutive days or more, or repeated absence without authorisation (e.g. 1 or 2 days per week), will be reported to the UK Visas and Immigration authorities (for visa nationals), and/or to sponsors (for sponsored students).
- The school expects students to adhere to the standards and rules set out in our “Student Code of Conduct”. This requires all students to behave reasonably at all times towards other students, school staff, homestay hosts, our facility providers, and members of the public. We expect students to respect cultural, racial and religious differences.
- We expect students to behave reasonably and responsibly online (including using any form of messaging or social media) and follow the school’s guidelines on internet use – including not downloading or sharing any illegal or inappropriate material.
- In the event of misconduct or unsatisfactory attendance or work, we reserve the right to refuse admission to any student or to dismiss any student from school or accommodation without refund. of tuition fees Any extra costs involved will be the responsibility of the student, parents or sponsor.
- In the event that a student is required to leave a course, we will inform the appropriate authorities (such as the British Home Office).
- All accommodation payments must be made through the Studio Cambridge.
- If you book your own accommodation you must give your accommodation address and a contact telephone number to us before you come.
- If you leave your course early for any reason, you will be asked to leave your accommodation.
- Refunds for all accommodation options will only be made for full calendar weeks (Sunday to Saturday).
- If you only book accommodation for part of your stay and you decide to extend we cannot guarantee that you will be able to stay in the same accommodation.
- We reserve the right to change your accommodation at very short notice before you arrive or once you are here (due to death, illness, work commitments or other unexpected situations). We guarantee to provide accommodation for the period you have booked but not necessarily with the same homestay or in the same category of accommodation for the whole period.
- If you have a problem with your accommodation we will attempt to resolve it as soon as possible. You may ask to change accommodation up to a maximum of 3 times. After this we reserve the right not to offer you alternative accommodation.
- Any student who behaves in an unacceptable manner will be asked to leave their accommodation, with no guarantee that we will be able to find alternative accommodation.
- Residential accommodation is booked solely on a weekly basis. If your homestay accommodation requirements involve extra days, you will be charged a daily rate for up to 3 days. For 4 or more extra days you will be charged at the full weekly rate.
- On arrival, if you have booked residential accommodation you will be asked to sign a contract and follow the terms and conditions of that contract. Failure to do so means you will be asked to leave the accommodation and no refund will be given.
- Guests are not permitted to stay in homestay or residences without prior arrangement with Studio Cambridge.
- Check-in to accommodation should be on Sundays between 12:00 and 17:00. There is a charge for check-ins outside these times. Please note we cannot check students in after 20:00
- Studio Cambridge does not accept responsibility for the provision of any services that are not expressly mentioned in our brochure or website.
- We do not accept liability in the case of illness, accident, or loss/damage to personal items of property during our courses and camps, while on premises used by Studio, or in accommodation or transport booked through us.
- We shall not be liable to you in the event that any service contracted to be supplied becomes impossible to supply because of any circumstances, (such as industrial dispute), which are outside our control.
- We do not accept liability for losses or additional expenses you might have to pay because of cancellation or delays to your travel services.
- Students will be held liable and required to pay for any damage they cause on the school or camp premises, at their accommodation or at any other facilities used during the running of a Studio programme.
- Studio Cambridge is not liable for failure to perform its obligations if such failure is as a result of Acts of God (fire, flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, infectious diseases or endemics or other natural disasters that are beyond our reasonable control), war, invasion, act of foreign enemies, hostilities (regardless of whether war is declared), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, terrorist activities, nationalisation, government sanction, blockage, embargo, labour dispute, strike, lockout, or interruption of electricity, internet or telephone service. Refunds will not be made in such circumstances.
- In the event of an outbreak of an infectious disease, all students and or parents/guardians are required to comply with rules regarding quarantine as set by government agencies and/or by Studio Cambridge.
- With a minimum of 1 weeks’ notice and with the agreement of the Director of Studies, students who have been studying for 12 weeks or longer may take a 1 week holiday, for every 12 weeks of their studies. Such holidays may only be taken if they begin and end on weekends.
- Subject to your accommodation provider’s agreement, you may return to, and leave your belongings in your accommodation during your holiday. In this case, a fee will be charged.
Personal Information and media
- By accepting these Terms & Conditions you accept our right to use your personal information in the manner stated below.
- Studio-organised activities and classes (and their participants) must not be filmed or recorded in any way, without the explicit permission of other participants and a Studio Cambridge Manager.
- We may use film or still photographs of students for promotional purposes or for our Social media. You (or parents/guardians) will be asked to inform us (preferably before the course starts) if you will not allow us to use such images.
- We keep our students’ personal information in electronic and paper format. Some of the personal information you supply will be passed on to accommodation providers or the airport meeting service. We will not pass on the information to other third parties.
- Under UK law we are required to give information to UK Visas and Immigration authorities if requested to do so.
- In order to fulfil our obligations to you, (and the British authorities), we ask to see and copy your passport or ID card (and visa if applicable). We also request your mobile phone details and details of your next of kin (closest family member) in your country. You must agree to provide these details and keep them up to date if they change.
- Students or parents/guardians should inform us at the time of application of any necessary medical information and to enquire prior to enrolling whether the school and accommodation facilities are suitable for the individual’s needs.
For students taking an English Course for Adults
Under 18s on adult courses
- For students aged under 18 attending our “English Courses for adults”, Studio Cambridge does not provide supervision outside of lessons and activities organised as part of the students’ programme.
- Under 18s are required to read our ‘Notes to parents and guardians of under 18s’. You can find this on our website at www.studiocambridge.co.uk. Parents or guardians of under 18s must send us a completed ‘Under 18 parental consent form’ before the student arrives.
Cancellation of your application
- If we receive cancellation of your course, in writing, more than four weeks before the course starts, you will be responsible for paying just the Registration Fee.
- If you cancel a course in writing and we receive this notification less than four weeks before the course starts, you will be responsible for paying the Registration Fee and Deposit.
- If we do not receive your cancellation in writing, or do so after the course in which you are enrolled has started, your cancellation will be treated as “termination” of the course. The conditions pertaining to termination are given below.
Termination of your course or accommodation
- If you wish to withdraw from your course (the lessons) once it has started, you must give four weeks’ written notice or make payment of Tuition fees in lieu of notice. A refund will then be made of 50% of the Tuition fees for the unused portion of the course in excess of the four weeks’ notice period.
- If you wish to withdraw from your accommodation it will be kept available, and must be paid, until the Saturday of the week after you give us notice. A refund will then be made of 100% of the Accommodation fees remaining from that Saturday onward.
- Please note: the insurance policy (included in the fees) covers you for cancellation or withdrawal from a course due to illness or other compelling reasons. If you are eligible for a refund under the provisions of this insurance, no further refund will be made by the School. Details of the insurance are available from Studio Cambridge.
For students taking a “camp” course
Cancellation of your application
- If we receive cancellation of your course, in writing, more than four weeks before the course starts, you will be responsible for paying just the deposit.
- If you cancel your course less than four weeks before the course starts, or if you fail to cancel, you will be responsible for paying the full fees for your course.
Termination of your course
- No refunds will be made for early withdrawal from a course.
- Please note: the insurance policy (included in the fees) covers you for cancellation or withdrawal from a course due to illness or other compelling reasons. If you are eligible for a refund under this insurance, no further refund will be made by the School. Details of the insurance are available from Studio Cambridge.
- Refunds will be made only to the person (such as a parent) or organisation (such as a Studio Cambridge representative) from whom we received the fees. Refunds can only be made to you if you originally paid the fees directly to Studio Cambridge yourself. All refunds will be made to the original payer’s bank account or credit card and will not be made in cash. If you paid via Flywire we will return the due funds to you via this service.
- Refunds will not be given for any part of the programme (such as an excursion) missed because of your arrival or departure arrangements or for any other reason.
- All refunds will be made in £ Sterling only.
- Any bank or other charges payable will be deducted from the money refunded to you.
- Any refunds made will be based on the published fees for the length of the course taken.
Your agreement to these terms and conditions
- By signing the application form, you or your parents/guardians: • agree to inform us of any condition, including allergies, that could affect you or your medical treatment.
- authorise Studio Cambridge to take appropriate action in the case of a medical emergency.
- authorise our First Aid staff to suggest non-prescription medicines when appropriate.
- authorise Studio Cambridge to grant permission to any medical practitioner to examine you, treat you and to make referrals as required.
- grant you permission to attend any activities organised by the school or arranged by the school through third parties.
- acknowledge that the person signing the application form is responsible for paying all costs incurred.
- Signing the application form or enrolling online implies your understanding and acceptance of these Terms and Conditions, and of the information contained in the brochure, website and the Dates and Fees document.
© Studio Cambridge 2019